Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Old Poem Revised

I recently found a document in my computer lost since 2000 (makes me wonder what my oldest file is). It was a poem I wrote (yet another sign that I was a writer first, and a programmer second). I have since edited it and present it to you for your reading pleasure.


Home

I hear the voices creep into the back of my mind
The voices like your conscience telling you right from wrong.
I feel the room darken and tell you to turn the lights back on
But I know it is not the lights, so I wait


I wait for the meaningless minutes to pass by; one more will not matter.
I feel the room lose its heat, but I do not bother to ask you to turn it up.
I know what is to come.
I feel my heart slow.
I feel the beats shorten.
The soft numbness engulf my body.
I look once more at your face as you look at my almost lifeless body.

I see fear come from under the door,
The fear of what is on the other side of the long dark tunnel.
I see the door at the end of the tunnel, light creeping through the key hole.
I look through to see a beautiful land far more than anything on Earth.

The family that inhabits it.
The family of mine from long ago.
From the empires of Egypt to the times of Rome.
My family from long ago, I long for them.
My family from present, I long for them to say yes.
To see them in pain makes me wish even more for it to be on me
As a true brother, I wish this, only that they would live with me.

I close my eyes and drift off into everlasting sleep
I leave the land of darkness to the land of light
Where my brothers and sisters and Father live.

My Home, I have arrived at last.
My Home, I wait for the rest of my family
My Home where I sing unto Thee
My Home, I now live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment