Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tales of Warrog: Chapter 11

Warrog learns an important lesson: lock the doors, and get a guard dog.

Day 41
I found enough materials to finish the last two additions to my house. I now have an Alchemy tower in the north wing, and a kitchen opposite my bedroom. I managed to build an oven and another fireplace in the kitchen, and to celebrate, I made some French Bread, and Apple Dumplings. I made a list of items I needed for my alchemy and enchanting tables, but it was too late to head over to Riverwood. With my warm bed calling me, I slipped under the covers and fell asleep.

 Day 42
I awoke on a hard wooden floor. A mysterious hooded woman told me she belonged to the Dark Brotherhood. They were kind of impressed with my killing of the hag at the orphanage. But because it was technically their kill, even though they never followed up on it, I had to pay them back. I told them I had 14,000 gold, and was willing to part with some, but they wanted me to kill more. The catch was I had to choose. Three hooded people were on their knees in the room. I was to question them and decide which one was to die.

I barely got close when the woman in the middle began bitching and harping. That made it easy. I knew I didn't have a soul gem large enough for the hag, so I notched an arrow, fired it between her eyes, and watched her body become engulfed in flames. I recovered my arrow, and snagged the hood for good measure.

The mysterious woman, (I think her name was Astrid. I'm quite bad with names. Names don't matter much when your axe is sunk into their skull), told me I did well, and I was welcome to join the Dark Brotherhood where I could be paid for my kills. As enticing as that sounds, the last time someone promised me boat loads of money, I made 1,800 gold in a month. I know guards with knee injuries who get paid more than that. I told her I'd think about it.

I left the shack and found myself close to Solitude. Wading through the swamp, a dragon flew overheard and saw me. I made a run for it to the city. It got distracted by some horkers, giving me enough time to slip away. With the dragon no longer in sight, I made a U-turn back south.

Day 43
I figured I'd give it a shot, and made a stop at Falkreath. Something must be going on around the town. When I showed up, six to eight guards were on alert. Either I'm becoming notorious or maybe they heard about the dragon who slaughtered the entire guard at Riverwood. I haven't checked if the Jarl has sent reinforcements yet.

A courier stopped me to deliver a message. I seem to get this at least once a week. The last one I got was about a museum opening in Dawnstar. That's kind of out of the way. Maybe if I got a few hours to kill the next time I'm there, I'll check it out. This letter was from the Orphanage, letting me know they were allowing adoptions again. I must have really done a number on that poor woman while I was there. I'm no healer or mage, but I think her psychosis has worsened to the point where she is repressing memories. Otherwise, I don't think she would have let me, the one who killed the hag, know I could adopt. For all I know, the children could have put in a good word for me. After all, they were kind enough to send me that Thank You letter with the finger paint art.

I headed west to where I found an ominous door. When I approached, it asked me what was the music of life. It took me a moment to consider. At first I thought of flutes with no drums, but that sounded silly. I did like the sound of my axe sinking into flesh, but I couldn't think of the onomatopoeia for that. Then it came to me. Life always ends in death, and death is silent. I told the door "Silence," and it let me in. I found Astrid who gave me some gear, and told me to check in with a guy for jobs while she set some things up.

I found the rest of the Brotherhood deeper inside the cave. I may be a ruthless killer who loves to loot, but I have my manners, and waited for them to finish their conversation. A vampire girl was talking about she lured a pedophile into an alley and killed him. A mage told of how he almost turned a guy inside out with his spell. Note to Warrog: Maybe rethink a life as a mage. The one who smelled like a wet dog told of how he killed a Khajiit monk and took his loin cloth. I'm all for looting, but taking a guy's loin cloth is just wrong.

The Redguard I took aside and told him what the deal was. He told me had some jobs for me, and gave me the contracts on three people who needed to be killed. One was in Dawnstar, so maybe I'll have to check out the museum before I leave. Probably before I make my kill.

I stopped back in Falkreath to buy the materials on my list. I found the Alchemical Silver Ingot, the two pieces of glass, and a grand soul gem. When I got back to the house, I forgot about the Refined Moonstone, and I guess the gem had to be filled. Oh well. I still have a little over 13,000 gold left. I can pick the Refined Moonstone, the Gold Ingot, and a filled Grand Soul Gem. I did make the Alchemy table before heading to bed. Hopefully I don't get abducted this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment