Monday, September 9, 2013

Tales of Warrog: Chapter 3

Tales of Warrog follows an Orc in Skyrim as he makes a name for himself, and not just in the snow of Windhelm.

Day 9
It's been a long day of traveling, and kill of dragons. It would be nice to get into town and relax--maybe sell some warhammers.

I arrived in Windhelm as everyone ran at me. I guess my good name has spread wide as Warrog the Dragon Slayer, or some variation thereof. Instead they ran past me to some vampires who got inside. I guess the glowing red eyes wasn't a dead giveaway (no pun intended).

People may write of me in the future, that his bloodlust cannot be quenched, but it does have its limits. Seeing a large melee ensue of townspeople gathered around three vampires, I made my way to the palace to alert the guards. They were nonplussed. By the time I made it back, guards from a different direction had come to the aid, and all were dead. Including three townspeople. One of which was Nils. I didn't know much about Nils, only that he was old, and he liked chopping wood, and I can respect that. I also respect not letting their valuables going to waste. Why some of these "good" people had lockpicking tools on their person, Tamriel may never know.

My name may never get around as it takes forever for word of a vampire attack to travel between guards. Newbies showed up and began questioning me about the attack. Racial profiling, I'd say, but I kept my cool even at the prospect of them finding that Golden Claw on me.

I knew it was late (night to be precise since vampires were out and about), but I hoped someone would be willing to buy my loot. No one was. I decided to get some sleep, curled up next to the smelter, and had a long, restless night's sleep.

In the morning, I awoke to find the blacksmith was not around. His apprentice did not seem bothered by his absence, but it was dark last night, and I may have missed his body. What wonders of loot I could find on his body. Sadly, I only found a vampire's body I had missed. I decided to have a look around the city to find him. Instead I found a grisly murder. Apparently, people be dying left and right in this city. Note to Warrog: Finish your shit in Windhelm, and gtfo.

The woman happened to be the third in a string of murders. I offered my assistance as killing innocent women went against my not-killing-of-beautiful-women rule. The guard said I could question the witnesses. Seeing as the witnesses were standing five feet away, and the guard continued to twiddle her thumbs, I figured she was keeping a close eye on me. Turns out the witnesses were pretty useless. Also turns out the guard was keeping a short leash on me. I was told to get official approval from the Steward.

In the palace, the Steward was only too happy to give me permission to help (wait till he gets my bill). He said he's stretched thin on guards as it is, so my help would be useful. That was painfully obvious as these guards have let four people die in one night.

I reported my official status to the guard who told me to question the useless witnesses further, and look for more clues. Knowing the witnesses would be a dead-end, I looked for clues, where I found a blood trail leading to a house. Apparently, the house is abandoned and has been for a while. I found the woman who owns it, but doesn't live there. She gave me some crap about asking questions, and I gave her crap about my official status letting me getting shit done in this city where people are dying. Her priorities were elsewhere, but she did give up the key to the house.

It looked like no one had been living there for a long time, but my keen eyes found a secret door to a room with a diary. Oh and lots of dismembered bodies--those were there too. I found another diary in a chest, some pamphlets scattered about, and a weird necklace with a skull on it. The pamphlets mentioned the Butcher which I can only assume used this secret room for his or her dirty work. At the very least, he has little class.

With books, and papers, and jewelery in hand, I questioned guards, questioned citizens, questioned the Steward. All pointed me to one man. He was a crazy merchant of sorts. I sought him out at his home where he told me the amulet belonged to the court wizard, and offered to buy the amulet from me for 500 gold. I declined the offer as it was my only piece of evidence.

I went to the Steward and told him of what I found. He wouldn't hear anything of it, telling me to go find out what the amulet was from the crazy merchant. This guy was dense. I decided I would skip the middle man and go straight to the culprit. When I tried telling the court wizard I knew what he had done, he rambled on about how no one understood magic. The guards in the palace were useless as well.

No one was listening to me. I had to get creative. When searching for answers earlier, I noticed one of the townsfolk knew an awful lot about the Butcher. Maybe she would be willing to listen.

I found her walking about, and she told me the court wizard was behind the murders. I confronted him, and he gave me his case for not being the killer. Although he had no alibi, he did say the killer would strike again, and I would find out who if I stayed in the merchant area.

By midnight, the killer appeared and tried to kill a girl in the open. I took a swing with my axe and wounded him. The guards chased him into the Alchemist shop where I found him beside the Alchemist's bed. I sunk my blade into his back and he fell to the ground. I suspect the Alchemist had something to do with the murders as well, but with no proof, there was not much I could do. After looting the body (only 36 gold), I reported my findings to the Stewart. He "rewarded" me with "guards not giving me shit anymore."

I was tired of this place anyway. My only options were deal with the old guys, or check on a whiny kid. I headed out of town when I overheard a conversation saying the kid in the haunted house wanted someone killed. That's what I'm good for. I snuck inside his home and found him performing a Black Sacrament. He wanted to pay me to kill some hag in Riften. My mother always said, find what you love doing, and get paid for it. So I took the job.

Sorry, old guys, you'll have to wait; I'm off to Riften.

No comments:

Post a Comment